Back from the beach....
Bet you didn't even know I was gone, lackadaisical blogger that I am these days.
The trip to the North Carolina shore afforded many hours of car time (~20, I think), so I am about 2/3's of the way done with The Peace Shawl. This was the reason I was looking for lace weight yarn in my previous post. I did find a skein of Lorna's Laces in a light periwinkle that is working well in the pattern.
It galls me that I could have purchased a whole pound of zephyr from Halcyon and dyed it myself for the price. That'll teach me to plan ahead in the future. Maybe I should just order up a pound of zephyr in white right now? Or better yet, I could spin up 8 oz. or so of the superfine wools that I have stashed around here.
Much time for fiber thinking on the trip. I walked the beach for 90 minutes every morning, until a blister put the kaibosh on that. Collected a bag of sea glass...which may well just be mostly sea quartz. I needed a substitute for shells, of which there are many scattered through this house in various containers.
I promised my sister that I would do a color class for her knitting guild in the spring of '06. I'm thinking that it would be nice to teach some basic principles of color in knitting, but it would be even nicer to have worked up a pattern for a functional item that incorporates a number of the color knitting techniques that they would have as a record of what they've done. I started thinking a knitted bag...but nah, those are best felted and in doing so would lose the details of what was done on some of the trickier techniques. Maybe a pillow with a button closure? I'm still pondering.....there's a limit to what a room full of knitters can accomplish in 9 hours.
More pondering...I knitted myself into a corner with the Salsa socks. I adapted a pattern from a recent Interweave Knits, knitting it from the toe up. However, the top ribbing is k2, p1, continuing from the pattern in the body of the sock. I could have changed it to make the k's and the p's equal in number. That would have made the sewn cast off easier, but the top of the sock awkward looking. While knitting on the shawl in the car, I decided that I would just do a sewn cast off, simply treating the knits as knits and purls and purls. It doesn't look as elegant as the sewn bind off on a k2, p2 rib, but it does work.
No pictures today, though. I'm mired in post vacation laundry, grocery inventory, meal planning and shopping for the week. Perhaps tomorrow....