Friday, February 04, 2005

Thinking...

Instead of playing with the minicombs yesterday, I cleaned house. You know, work before play and all that. Around here, house cleaning is accompanied by loading up the cd changer with old music and turning it up loud enough to recognize the tune over the vacuum cleaner. It's supposed to make me move faster...but I think it only makes the chore seem to pass more quickly.

The livingroom cleaning cd yesterday was Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water. It transported me back in time to the end of my senior year in high school and all of the world events at that time. Viet Nam was winding down, my male classmates were no longer worried about beind drafted before getting to college. Nixon was facing his last days of presidency, though we didn't yet know it. The cold war was still raging.

So my thoughts yesterday were along the lines that "Things (world events) haven't turned out nearly as bad as we thought they might. And yet, things haven't turned out nearly as well as they might have either."

On the last part of that thought, witness the following:
Born Into Brothels and Stolen Childhoods

These are the things I think about every time I drive past a Walmart or see their ads on tv. It makes me feel so sad and helpless to make a difference in the world.

Since reading Tracy Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains when it first came out, I've often wondered what opportunities I've passed up to make the world a better place. There are things I've done...and things I've left undone. I'm still watching and waiting for opportunities and pray I have the courage to act. Perhaps this entry is one such act.

If you want to be amazed and inspired by a real hero, you can real Paul Farmer's online bio at Partners in Health: Paul Farmer

Meanwhile, feeling kind of sad. A dear friend is headed back for another needle biopsy this AM after thinking she was all clear of cancer and ready to go with reconstructive surgery. Pray that "the spot" is nothing...nothing at all.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Thank you for the "Food for Thought". I do pray that your friend will be fine.
    Angi - Spinningdoula

    ReplyDelete

tie in the loose ends...